Sunday, September 30, 2012


At the end of its annual conference in Montreal, Lorna Goldberg, MSW, LCSW, PsyA., handed over the ICSA presidency to Steve K. D. Eichel, PhD, ABPP. 


Upon leaving the ICSA presidency, Ms.
 Goldberg said:

When I became president four years ago, I believed that it would be in ICSA's best long-term interest to have a strong, collaborative, and active board that is open to suggestions from membership and that effectively manages problems of succession, whether for the presidency or board positions. I believe ICSA has achieved that goal. I will remain on the Board to focus on what has been a longstanding commitment for me—helping former members and families.

I contemplate this change with full confidence that my successor, Steve Eichel, will make the transition from board member to president smoothly and competently. Steve has more than 30 years of clinical and research experience, a keen understanding of ICSA's mission to help and educate, a dedication to ICSA and the cultic studies field, and, as with all our board members, an ability to work cooperatively and respectfully. With the Board behind him, he will continue to make ICSA a vibrant, ever-growing organization.

One of Dr. Eichel’s first acts as president was to praise his predecessor:

Following Lorna Goldberg as President of ICSA is going to be a great challenge. Lorna is a class act. As I said at the ICSA membership meeting in Montreal, I have heard criticisms about almost everyone I know in this organization (including me); I have never heard a negative comment about Lorna. In addition to her intellectual abilities and social/emotional intelligence, Lorna has been instrumental in ICSA's success, from its transition from a primarily U.S.-based to a truly international organization to the startup of local ICSA meetings. Simply stated, Lorna is the best. I can only hope to approach her level of competence, grace, and commitment in my tenure as President of this unique association.

The ICSA Board extends its deep appreciation and gratitude to these individuals, who embody the commitment, competence, and caring shared by so many who support ICSA.

Biographical information on Dr. Eichel:
http://icsahome.com/infoserv_respond/by_profile.asp?elibPubauth=pubauth_eichel_steve

No comments: